February 22, 2012 - 3:29pm
I was diagnosed with fibroids about 8 months ago. I am post menapausal and was taking bioidentical hormones which my physician and I discontinued immediately after the ultrasound showing the fibroid. I had a uterine biopsy which was negative.
The bleeding has continued and recently has become very heavy. My doctor suggested I see an OB/GYN for further evaluation. When I saw him today, he remarked that we should consider this cancer until we know it isn't. He did another biopsy but may not have been able to get endometrial cells as he was only able to penetrate the uterus a small amount as something was blocking his access. He referred me for an additional ultrasound to evaluate any growth in the past 8 months or so since my last ultrsound.
We are waiting for results. My concern is that he did not recommend any alternatives to hystereomy if the tests are benign. This seems like a radical step for a problem of short duration. Specifically he did not mention uterine artery embolization which my reserach shows can have very positive results
Any one out there with a similar experience they would like to share?