May 18, 2011 - 12:59pm
I'm 19 years old. I have been married for a year and absolutely love my husband. We're part of a big italian family, so it's time to start giving my mother-in-law some grand children. My husband and I had a miscarriage in August of last year. We were positively devestated. We began trying seriously to conceive 9 months ago. (September 2010). We've had no luck. Why? Why me? Why am I having these problems? Why do I get my period every 2 weeks?
I blame my doctor. My OB/GYN put me on the Depo Provera shot when I was 16 years old. Never mentioning that it may cause fertility problems later down the line. Or explaining how it works. The Depo shot thins out your uterine lining. It can also cause severe migranes (from which I suffer). Nothing of this nature was ever explained to me before I began taking the shot. Now that I'm old enough to make my own real health decisions, I did some research on the shot. Women who take the Depo shot have a harder time getting pregnant, because you need a thick uterine lining for the egg to burrow into once it's fertilized. Without this lining, the egg has no where to go, hence doesn't grow into a fetus and eventually a child.
Now, my doctor cannot explain why I get my period every 2 weeks. I bleed anywhere from 10-14 days around every 14 days. It's also pretty hard to conceive when there's only 4-8 days a month where you can be having sex comfortably.
In my opinion, doctors should educate themselves on the medication they're prescribing young women these days. They all preach to you that you shouldn't be concerned with children right now. Right? You're just a teenager! But wait until you're in a comitted relationship or married and want to start having children. Then because your needs have changed, their opinions change a long with it. Your doctor is supposed to be the advocate for your health. So why, oh why, don't they think about your over all health? Instead of your health at that very moment?
I 90% blame my doctor for my fertility problems. The other 10% of blame goes to my mother for pushing me to listen to the doctor.
You should all do yourselves a favor and BEFORE you start any form of birth control, if you want to have kids in the future, research the long term effects of the medication on your reproductive system. On your whole body! Don't trust your doctors to make the right choices for you. Be your OWN advocate.