All of us, because of our different ages and races, have different nutritional needs. What remains the same for each of us, though, is our need to find balance during what can only be described as a “busy” lifestyle.
The fact that you find yourself constantly “on the go” does not mean your nutritional needs should suffer. With that in mind, I’ve come up with a list of easy-to-find foods that every woman should have on hand for snacking or incorporation into daily meals.
- Orange juice. Do yourself a favor and purchase the orange juice featuring added calcium. The calcium is great for you bones, the vitamin C is great for your immune system, and the combination of vitamins and nutrients will help you control those pesky PMS symptoms!
- Fruits and nuts. Fruits, such as apples, and nuts are great for a couple of reasons. They have tons of anti-oxidant properties and, at the same time, can be a great source of protein. Having the right amount of protein in your diet will enable you to feel full longer and thus cause you to snack less while on the run.
- Carrots. Grab yourself some freshly cut carrot sticks or even a bag of baby carrots. Carrots are full of carotenoids, a substance that has been reported to help fight cancer. Choose a healthy dip or eat them with a slice of cheese and the absorption rate will increase.
- Water. Alright – so water technically isn’t a food, but you’d be surprised at how many of us walk around every day in a state of dehydration. Do you have a headache or feel tired by the middle of your day? It’s likely you’re experiencing signs of dehydration. Drink a glass of water first thing in the morning to help rehydrate your body (unless you’ve been drinking in your sleep) and continue to drink bottled water throughout the day.
- Cocoa. This is my way of telling you that a little bit of chocolate is definitely OK. Cocoa, as long as it is fat-free, includes antioxidants and flavonoids that are excellent for your immune system and blood platelets.