Healthy breakfast is important because it sets you up well for the rest of the day. Here's how:
* if you have healthy breakfast your metabolism begins to process the food and "wakes up" to the fact that it needs to be a calorie-burning, energy-spending machine
* if you have good nutrition floating around your bloodstream you will have more energy
* if you make a healthy choice at breakfast you are less likely to make not-so-healthy choices later in the day
So, in the spirit of making healthy breakfast choices, here are some ideas for healthy breakfasts:
1. Smoothies! These are fast, healthy and delicious. Blend together a cup of yogurt (your choice). The thicker Greek yogurts tend to have more protein in them which will be more filling.
Add fresh or frozen berries of your choosing. Blueberries, strawberries and the like are very high in antioxidants and sweeten your smoothie naturally. Bananas are flavorful, filling and high in potassium and other wonderful nutrients.
Add a bit of ice, some non-fat milk or soy milk, blend and enjoy! You can also add protein powder or other nutrition supplements for an added boost.
2. Oatmeal! This is the diverse, delicious breakfast of true champions. You can add peanut butter and maple syrup, honey and nuts, cinnamon and a little soy milk or non-fat milk.
The healthy flavors you can add are endless. Stirring these added ingredients into your stove-top made oatmeal will ensure the flavors are blended together well.
3. Breakfast Burrito! This is one of my all time favorites. Scramble egg whites or eggs. Add black beans and low-fat cheddar cheese. Stir these into the eggs while they're still in the pan so they're nice and warm and melted in.
Heat up a whole wheat flour tortilla (these come in different flavors too, like spinach, rosemary, etc. ... yum!) by putting it into a pan and turning the heat on low. Place the egg/bean/cheese filling into the tortilla.
Remove from the heat, slide onto a plate and roll it up. It is declious, packed with protein and iron (from the black beans and the tortilla). You can add salsa or any condiment of your choosing. Fantastic!