Summertime brings up the enduring quest for looking good in a bathing suit. Most of us have an "Uh, oh!" moment as we see ourselves in the mirror. We are happy to say that Tao of Wellness has a plan just right for you.
Traditional Chinese Medicine advocates maintaining a healthy and balanced body system rather than succumbing to fad diets. A healthy weight can be sustained when the body is working optimally, stress is low and the spirit is peaceful. When the body is out of balance, adipose tissue (fat cells) accumulates, digestive weaknesses arise and your metabolism shifts into weight gain mode. To look slim and fit, practice these enduring weight management fundamentals:
1. You have to eat, but you have to eat smart. The best way to stay healthy is to eat well and be physically active. Focus on being fit rather than being thin.
2. Eating throughout the day keeps you from becoming famished and then overeating. Eat five small meals per day. Each meal should be the size of your two palms cupped together.
3. Your last meal of the day should be no later than 7 p.m.
4. Eliminate candy, sugar and soda from your diet. Limit your intake of honey and concentrated fruit juice. Eat fresh fruits or chew on fresh peppermint leaves.
5. Eat more complex carbohydrates or whole grains such as brown rice, millet and quinoa. Eat ample quantities of fresh fruits and vegetables. Keep dairy to a minimum as most dairy products contain saturated fat. Avoid trans fats, fatty foods, processed and fried foods.
6. Drink plenty of water, at least eight glasses or 60 ounces a day.
7. A 30-minute daily walk boosts your metabolism. Take a 30-minute walk in the morning or in the evening, two hours before bedtime. Hike, bike and swim; for toning, chi gong or yoga does wonders.