Fish oil is a great remedy that helps a variety of health conditions. It comes in easy to swallow capsules or liquids and is heavily concentrated in fish such as wild-caught salmon. Here are some good reasons for taking fish oil.
1) It’s anti-inflammatory! Do you have aches and pains that could benefit from some oil? Maybe you have an autoimmune condition, fibromyalgia, or joint pain? Fish oil has been shown to lower inflammation and improve these conditions.
2) It’s good for your heart! It lowers triglycerides and stroke risk and improves atherosclorosis and blood pressure.
3) It’s great for your skin! Do you suffer from acne, eczema or psoriasis? Fish oil has been shown to improve skin conditions because it is healing, nourishing, and anti-inflammatory.
4) It’s beneficial to your brain. Fish feeds the mind and can help prevent dementia, depression, anxiety, and mental fatigue from stress.
5) It’s necessary for a growing baby. Moms need to take at least 300mg of DHA for the developing brain of the baby. Start taking it before you plan on becoming pregnant to ensure you have sufficient levels from the start.
When choosing a fish oil, make sure you don’t just choose the cheapest pills on the shelf. Purity and quality is really important to ensure you aren’t swallowing rancid or contaminated oil. When fish oil becomes rancid, it produces free radicals which are bad for your health. Additionally, you want to check that the company screens for toxins such as mercury, lead, arsenic, dioxin, and PCBs.
Make sure the ratio of EPA to DHA is high. Optimally, you’re looking for at least 500-700mg of EPA and 300mg of DHA which are the Omega 3 fatty acids. You will need much more if you have high triglycerides or are treating inflammatory conditions such as autoimmune or joint problems.
If you suspect the oil is rancid, puncture your capsule and smell the oil. If it smells like bad fish then don’t take it! This is putting your health at risk.
Fish oil is so good for your health it’s one of those supplements you’ll probably take off and on for the rest of your life. Make sure the quality is good to make it worth your while.