Below are a few important facts on lung diseases overall taken directly from the American Lung Association as of 2008:
• Every year, almost 400,000 Americans die from lung disease.
• Lung disease is the number three killer (behind heart disease and cancer) in the United States, responsible for one in six deaths.
• The lung disease death rate has been continuously increasing, while death rates due to other leading causes of death, such as heart disease, cancer and stroke, have been declining.
• Overall, various forms of lung disease and breathing problems constitute one of the leading causes of death in babies under the age of 1, accounting for 20.2 percent of infant deaths in 2004.
• More than 35 million Americans have chronic lung diseases.
• An estimated 438,000 Americans die each year from diseases directly related to cigarette smoking, including heart and lung diseases.
• Millions of children and adults with lung disease in this country are exposed to levels of ozone and particle air pollution that could potentially make them sick.
• Asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (emphysema and chronic bronchitis), the most common obstructive lung diseases, are associated with substantial health impairment and work disability.
• Lung disease costs the U.S. economy $95 billion in direct health care expenditures every year, plus indirect costs of $59 billion — a total of $154 billion.
In addition, the World Health Organization (WHO) and United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) states that the pneumonia vaccine does not reduce the incidence of clinical pneumonia, (Madhi et al). It makes sense that it wouldn’t, as evidenced by the fact that many organisms contribute to pneumonia other than pneumococci, like other bacteria, viruses and sometimes parasites.
Most of our immune protection parallels our digestive tract and our lungs (the two organs that interact with the outside world) in addition to the skin (which is why it is so important to use skin care products that contain the least amount of toxins; visit www.skindeep.com).