Active Hexose Correlated Compound
• AHCC, Basidiomycetes
In Japan, various mushrooms and tree fungi have a long history of medicinal use. Active Hexose Correlated Compound (AHCC) is a proprietary compound made from the mycelia (vegetative portion) of various mushrooms in the general family of basidiomycete. The exact composition of the mushrooms, as well as the method used to prepare them, are considered a trade secret. AHCC has been developed in Japan for use in treatment of cancer. For related treatments, see the articles on
What Is AHCC Used for Today?
AHCC is primarily advocated as an aid to cancer treatment
Other proposed uses of AHCC have even weaker supporting evidence. These include decreasing
1. Kitade H, Mtsui S, Takai S, et al. Preventive effect of active hexose correlated compound (AHCC) on the recurrence of postoperative hepatocellular carcinoma. On file with manufacturer: Kosuna Osaka/Sapporo. Japan.
2. Cowawintaweewat S, Manoromana S, Sriplung H, et al. Prognostic improvement of patients with advanced liver cancer after active hexose correlated compound (AHCC) treatment. Asian Pac J Allergy Immunol. 2006;24:33-45.
4. Matsushita K, Kuramitsu Y, Ohiro Y, et al. Combination therapy of active hexose correlated compound plus UFT significantly reduces the metastasis of rat mammary adenocarcinoma. Anticancer Drugs. 1998;9:343-350.
5. Hirose A, Sato E, Fujii H et al. The influence of active hexose correlated compound (AHCC) on cisplatin-evoked chemotherapeutic and side effects in tumor-bearing mice. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2007 Apr 20. [Epub ahead of print]
6. Gao Y, Zhang D, Sun B, et al. Active hexose correlated compound enhances tumor surveillance through regulating both innate and adaptive immune responses. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2006;55:1258-1266.
9. Ritz BW, Nogusa S, Ackerman EA, et al. Supplementation with active hexose correlated compound increases the innate immune response of young mice to primary influenza infection. J Nutr. 2006;136:2868-2873.
10. Aviles H, Belay T, Vance M, et al. Active hexose correlated compound enhances the immune function of mice in the hindlimb-unloading model of spaceflight conditions. J Appl Physiol. 2004;97:1437-1444.
11. Ikeda T, Ishibashi H, Fujisaki R et al. Prophylactic efficacy of a basidiomycetes preparation AHCC against lethal Candida albicans infection in experimental granulocytopenic mice. Nippon Ishinkin Gakkai Zasshi. 2003;44:127-131.
12. Aviles H, Belay T, Fountain K, et al. Active hexose correlated compound enhances resistance to Klebsiella pneumoniae infection in mice in the hindlimb-unloading model of spaceflight conditions. J Appl Physiol. 2003;95:491-496.
Last reviewed April 2009 by EBSCO CAM Review Board
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © 2007 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.