Bean and Macaroni Soup
|Serving Size||1 cup|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||less than 1 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||29 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 mg|
Ingredients and Preparation
|Great northern beans||2 cans (16 oz each)|
|Olive oil||1 tablespoon|
|Fresh mushrooms, sliced||½ pound|
|Onion, coarsely chopped||1 cup|
|Carrots, sliced||2 cups|
|Celery, coarsely chopped||1 cup|
|Garlic, minced||1 clove|
|Tomatoes, fresh, peeled, cut up||3 cups*|
|Dried sage||1 teaspoon|
|Dried thyme||1 teaspoon|
|Dried oregano||½ teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper to taste|
|Bay leaf, crumbled||1|
|Elbow macaroni, cooked||4 cups|
- Drain beans and reserve liquid. Rinse beans.
- Heat oil in 6-quart kettle. Add mushrooms, onion, carrots, celery, and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, sage, thyme, oregano, pepper, and bay leaf. Cover and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Cook macaroni according to directions on package, using unsalted water. Drain when cooked. Do not overcook.
- Combine reserved bean liquid with water to make 4 cups.
- Add liquid, beans, and cooked macaroni to vegetable mixture.
- Bring to boil. Cover and simmer until soup is thoroughly heated. Stir occasionally.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © 2007 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.