Classic Spaghetti and Meat Sauce
|Serving Size||½ of recipe|
|Total Fat||14 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||76 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|
Ingredients and Preparation
|Olive oil||2 teaspoons|
|Medium yellow onion, diced||½|
|Garlic clove, minced||1|
|Ground beef, 90% lean||1/3 pound|
|Whole tomatoes, no salt added||1 (14.5-ounce) can|
|Black pepper to taste|
|Dried basil||½ teaspoon|
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and cook until evenly browned.
- Add the tomatoes and salt. Crush the tomatoes with a fork. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for about 15 minutes. Season with the dried basil and pepper to taste. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- Serve meat sauce over spaghetti.
4 starches; 2 medium fat meats; 2 vegetables; 1 fat
Side Suggestions: Veggie Salad
Top sliced romaine lettuce with your favorite salad veggies and dressing.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © 2007 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.