Substitutions, like reduced-fat cheese instead of whole cheese, lower fat and calories compared to traditional lasagna recipes.
Ingredients and Preparation
|Lasagna noodles||1 box|
|Extra lean ground beef (93% lean) or lean ground turkey||1 pound|
|Chopped onion||½ cup|
|Mushrooms, optional||8 ounces|
|Spaghetti sauce (no fat added)||1 jar|
|Garlic powder||1 teaspoon|
|Dried leaf oregano, crumbled||1 teaspoon|
|Dried leaf basil, crumbled||½ teaspoon|
|Part-skim ricotta cheese||1 ½ cups|
|Reduced-fat Montery Jack cheese||2 cups|
|Reduced-fat Parmesan cheese||¾ cup|
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet, brown beef, onion, and mushrooms.
Tip: Don't forget to drain the fat from the meat after you brown it.
- Stir in spaghetti sauce, garlic powder, salt, oregano, and basil.
- In a 2-quart buttered baking dish (about 11x7x2 inches), layer noodles, meat and sauce mixture, 1/3 of the ricotta, Monterey Jack, and Parmesan cheeses. Repeat layers twice.
Tip: Use cooking spray instead of butter to grease the dish.
- Bake lasagna for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated and bubbly.
- Let stand for 8 to 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © 2007 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.