Rockport Fish Chowder
|Serving Size||1 cup|
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||18 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|
Ingredients and Preparation
|Vegetable oil||2 tablespoons|
|Onion, coarsely chopped||¼ cup|
|Celery, coarsely chopped||½ cup|
|Carrots, sliced||1 cup|
|Potatoes, raw, peeled, cubed||2 cups|
|Bottled clam juice||2 cups|
|Fresh or frozen (and thawed) cod or haddock fillets, cut into ¾-inch cubes||1 pound|
|Lowfat milk||3 cups|
|Fresh parsley, chopped||1 tablespoon|
- Heat oil in large saucepan. Add onion and celery, and sauté for about 3 minutes.
- Add carrots, potatoes, thyme, paprika, and clam broth. Wrap peppercorns and bay leaf in cheese cloth. Add to pot. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes, then add fish and simmer for an added 15 minutes, or until fish flakes easily and is opaque.
- Remove fish and vegetables. Break fish into chunks. Bring broth to boil and continue boiling until volume is reduced to 1 cup. Remove bay leaf and peppercorns.
- Shake flour and 1/2 cup lowfat milk in container with tight-fitting lid until smooth. Add to broth in saucepan, along with remaining milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and is thickened.
- Return vegetables and fish chunks to stock and heat thoroughly. Serve hot, sprinkled with chopped parsley.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © 2007 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.