Talking to Your Doctor About Hodgkin’s Disease
You have a unique medical history. Therefore, it is essential to talk with your doctor about your personal risk factors and/or experience with
General Tips for Gathering Information
Here are some tips that will make it easier for you to talk to your doctor:
- Bring someone else with you. It helps to have another person hear what is said and think of questions to ask.
- Write out your questions ahead of time, so you don't forget them.
- Write down the answers you get, and make sure you understand what you are hearing. Ask for clarification, if necessary.
- Don't be afraid to ask your questions or ask where you can find more information about what you are discussing. You have a right to know.
Specific Questions to Ask Your doctor
About Hodgkin’s Disease
- What is the stage of my cancer?
- Was I diagnosed early?
About Your Risk of Developing Hodgkin’s Disease
- Based on my medical history, lifestyle, and family background, am I at risk for Hodgkin’s disease?
About Treatment Options
- How do we best treat Hodgkin’s disease?
- What are all my options?
- What are the risks and benefits associated with this treatment plan?
- How long will treatment last?
- Are there side effects I should watch for?
Are there any medications I can take?
- What are the benefits?
- Are there any side effects I should watch for?
- What will I need to change in my daily routine?
- How will I feel during treatment?
- What will I need to do to take care of myself during the treatment period?
- What will we do if the treatment does not succeed?
- Are there any alternative or complementary therapies I should consider?
About Your Outlook
- How likely is it that my treatments will kill all the cancer cells?
- How do I know that my treatment program is effective?
- Should I consider participating in a clinical trial?
- Can you recommend a support group or other patients who I can talk with?
Hodgkin lymphoma. National Cancer Institute website. Available at: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/hodgkin . Accessed April 24, 2009.
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society website. Available at: http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/hm_lls. Accessed April 24, 2009.
Last reviewed April 2009 by
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © 2007 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.