Taro Root and Chili Cakes
|Serving Size||2 patties|
|Calories from Fat||20|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||22 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|
|Vitamin A||160% DV|
|Vitamin C||220% DV|
Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Ingredients and Preparation
|Taro root||1¾ pounds|
|Light olive oil||1 teaspoon|
|Large onion, (use sweet onion) finely diced||1|
|Jalapeño chili, cored seeded and finely diced||2|
|Egg substitute||½ cup|
|Carrot, grated||1 cup|
|Italian parsley, chopped||3 tablespoons|
|All-purpose flour||½ cup|
- Place the taro in a large steamer, cover, and steam for 30-40 minutes, or until very tender. Cover with cold water, then peel when cool enough to handle.
- Cut each taro root into several pieces and beat with an electric mixer until it has the consistency of smooth paste.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Warm the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Sauté the onion and jalapenos until very soft but not browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add the egg substitute, salt, carrot, and parsley to the taro paste. Add the onion mixture and combine well.
- Cover a large plate with flour. Scoop about twelve 1/8th cup balls of the taro mixture onto the plate and dust with flour.
- Using the palm of your hand, flatten each ball into a patty about ½ inches thick.
- Lay the patties on a greased cookie sheet.
- Lightly coat the tops of the cakes with cooking spray and bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Turn the patties and bake for 10 minutes more, or until golden brown.
Fruit: 0; Vegetables: 1; Meat: 0; Milk: 0; Fat: 0; Carbs: 1; Other: 0
Diabetic exchanges are calculated based on the American Diabetes Association Exchange System. Exchanges are rounded up or down to equal whole numbers. Therefore, partial exchanges are not included.
Melissa’s World Variety Produce, Graham Kerr
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © 2007 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.