has a long history of use in
What Is Tinospora cordifolia Used for Today?
According to some herbalists, tinospora has adaptogenic effects
In this study, 75 people with
Besides anti-allergy effects, weak evidence hints that tinospora may have anti-cancer,
Use of tinospora has not been associated with significant side effects. However, comprehensive safety testing has not been conducted. One animal study found evidence that use of tinospora might decrease male fertility. 15
2. Singh N, Singh SM, Shrivastava P, et al. Effect of Tinospora cordifolia on the antitumor activity of tumor-associated macrophages-derived dendritic cells. Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol . 2005;27:1-14.
3. Singh N, Singh SM, Shrivastava P, et al. Immunomodulatory and antitumor actions of medicinal plant Tinosporacordifolia are mediated through activation of tumor-associated macrophages. Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol . 2004;26:145-62.
5. Rawal AK, Muddeshwar MG, Biswas SK, et al. Rubia cordifolia , Fagonia cretica linn and Tinosporacordifolia exert neuroprotection by modulating the antioxidant system in rat hippocampal slices subjected to oxygen glucose deprivation. BMC Complement Altern Med . 2004;4:11.
11. Subramanian M, Chintalwar GJ, Chattopadhyay S, et al. Antioxidant properties of a Tinospora cordifolia polysaccharide against iron-mediated lipid damage and gamma-ray induced protein damage. Redox Rep . 2002;7:137-143.
16. Purandare H, Supe A. Immunomodulatory role of Tinospora cordifolia as an adjuvant in surgical treatment of diabetic foot ulcers: A prospective randomized controlled study. Indian J Med Sci. 2007;61:347-355.
Last reviewed April 2009 by EBSCO CAM Review Board
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © 2007 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.