As a writer who suffers from severe depression, I was honored to get this assignment. Depression seizes our logic and our reason and convinces us of a myriad of untruths on its quest to leave us dead. So here I offer depression a rebuttal in the form of an infographic founded on scientific fact.
Hopelessness is not an objective truth, but a symptom of depression. You are created for this world, just temporarily derailed by a combination of genetic, biological, environmental and other extrinsic factors. And there are likely dozens of people who need you stick it out.
I'm one of them. Read and be well. You're life depends on it.
1) The Evolutionary Advantage of Depression. The Atlantic.com. Retrieved February 17, 2016. http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/10/the-evolutionary-advantage-of-depression/263124
2) Depression fact sheet. WomensHealth.gov. Retrieved February 17, 2016. http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/depression.html#l
3) 11 Natural Treatments For Depression: An MD’s Tips For Skipping The Prozac. PsychologyToday.com. Retrieved February 17, 2016. https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/owning-pink/201103/11-natural-treatments-depression-md-s-tips-skipping-the-prozac
4) Suicide risk in depression and bipolar disorder: Do impulsiveness-aggressiveness and pharmacotherapy predict suicidal intent? NCBI.gov. Retrieved February 17, 2016. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2515901
5) Tryptophan. NIH.gov. Retrieved February 17, 2016. https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002332.htm
6) Your Omega-3 Family Shopping List. WebMd.com. Retrieved February 17, 2016. http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/your-omega-3-family-shopping-list
7) Understanding Depression and Effective Treatment. apa.org. Retrieved February 17, 2016. http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/understanding-depression.aspx
8) Depression in Special Situations. WebMd.com. Retrieved February 17, 2016. http://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/depression-in-special-situations
9) Depression in women: Understanding the gender gap. MayoClinic. Retrieved February 17, 2016. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/depression/in-depth/depression/art-20047725
10) Suicide and Suicide Attempts Take an Enormous Toll on Society. CDC.gov. Retrieved February 17, 2016. http://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/suicide/consequences.html
11) Risk of Suicide. nami.org. Retrieved February 24, 2016. https://www.nami.org/Learn-More/Mental-Health-Conditions/Related-Conditions/Suicide