The Brahmari Pranayama imitates the sound of a humming bee during it’s exhaling phase. It thus channelizes breathing through a vibrating state. The Brahmari Pranayama is the most efffective of all the Pranayamas chalked out for migraineurs.
• The brahmari cures post delivery and menstrual migraines through higher serotonin release pre-menstruation,
• It is extremely useful for Alzheimer patients and those with heart conditions,
• The Brahmari also balances blood sugar and hormone secretion,
• It’s practice increases the rate of metabolism and calms the mind,
• It is proven to improve memory and concentration.
Here’s how you do it:
1. Sit on a mat on an even floor (Preferably in Vajra Asana or Sukha Asana).
2. Close your glottis partially as you inhale through both nostrils, making a snoring sound.
3. Exhale slowly emitting the buzzing sound of a humming bee.
4. Humming while exhaling allows you to spin out your breath and make a longer exhalation.
5. Repeat the process 5 – 10 times.
Personally, I recommend The Art of Living Foundation’s Basic Course where they teach you how to do the different Pranayama with precision. The Foundation’s chapters have presence in almost all the countries of the world and in all major cities. You may visit their website to www.artofliving.org to find out the location of their branch in your locality. Another trusted source would be to watch and follow or buy the DVDs of Baba Ramdev. His instructions are articulate and make them easy to follow. Information and YouTube demonstrations of asana and Pranayama are available on his website www.baba-ramdev.info.
Remember, any Pranayama done wrongly has the potential to be dangerous. It is recommended that you learn Pranayama through a qualified Yoga instructor.
As with aerobic exercises, benefits can be enjoyed with consistency. As with homeopathic medications, benefits are more forthcoming with regularity in timing of practice. In addition, as with aerobics and homeopathic programs a sensible diet, lean on fat, moderate on complex carbohydrates, high on high fibre, protein and water, along with a good dose of patience brings sustained results.