From brunch to lunch, dinners and desserts, the holidays can surely be full of delightful temptations. Fortunately, tempting does not have to mean calorie-laden indulgences followed by holiday guilt.
Below, I have compiled 12 dishes that are both nutritious and delicious.
PINEAPPLE CHOCOLATE MUFFINS
• 1 cup of fresh pineapple, pureed
• 1 cup of flaxseed
• ½ cup of safflower oil
• 3 eggs
• 2 cups grated zucchini
• 1 scoop of chocolate whey
• 3 teaspoons vanilla
• 2-1/2 cups of oat flour
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1-1/2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
• 1 teaspoon salt
• All natural nonstick cooking spray
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix oil, flaxseed meal, eggs and sugar. Then stir in the rest of the ingredients one at a time.
Spray muffin pans with nonstick cooking spray and add batter to pans.
Bake for 50-60 minutes.
Serving Size 1 muffin. (Makes 6)
ORANGE CRANBERRY PANCAKES
• 1-1/2 scoops of whey protein
• ½ teaspoon Stevia powder
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 1/2 cup of regular instant oatmeal
• 1 teaspoon of orange zest
• 2 tablespoons of dried cranberries
Combine all ingredients in bowl and mix to a batter consistency. Spoon onto hot, lightly greased griddle or skillet.
Serve with all natural syrup or jam.
Makes 3-4 small pancakes/1 serving
LEMON POPPY WAFFLES
• 1/4 cup of oatmeal
• 1 scoop of vanilla whey protein powder
• 1/2 cup lemon flavored yogurt
• 1 egg
• 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal
• 1 tablespoon Stevia powder
• 1 teaspoon lemon zest or finely grated peel
• 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
• cooking spray
Mix all ingredients together to a batter consistency. Preheat waffle iron, spray with cooking spray then add a heaping spoonful of batter onto each waffle square.
Cook until golden brown.
PORTOBELLA BEEF LASAGNA
• 2 packages (6 ounces each) of portobella mushroom caps
• 10 ounces lean ground beef
• ½ cup of low skim ricotta cheese
• 12 ounces of shredded mozzarella cheese