Facebook Pixel

14 Babies in Texas Given Blood Thinner Overdose

Rate This

Fourteen infants in a Corpus Christi, Texas hospital's neonatal intensive care unit were accidentally given overdoses of a blood thinning drug, the Associated Press reported Tuesday.

A pediatric version of the blood thinner Heparin was used to flush IV tubes to prevent blood clots from forming. The error at Christus Spohn Hospital was discovered by nurses on Sunday based on abnormal lab results.

It wasn't immediately clear how much of an overdose was administered. It's believed the error occurred in the hospital's pharmacy when the drug was being mixed, the AP said.

Two of the infants have been released and the others are being observed closely, a hospital spokesman told the wire service.

In November, the twin infants of actor Dennis Quaid were given a dangerously high dose of the anti-clotting drug at Cedars-Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles. They have since recovered.

Add a CommentComments

There are no comments yet. Be the first one and get the conversation started!

Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy


Get Email Updates

Parenting Guide

HERWriter Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!