Print out a copy of this list and carry it around with you until these statements come naturally to you (then you know you don’t need the list anymore!). Feel free to replace the underlined part of each sentence with your own words. If you have difficulty truly believing any of these statements, review them and add your own spin on them with the help of a therapist.
- I’m a good mom because I’m trying to get well, and I care about my family.
- I’m a good mom because I’m getting help for myself and my child(ren) will benefit.
- It’s important to be kind to myself because it will speed up my recovery.
- I will take care of myself because I need my strength to take care of my own family.
- I’m taking care of myself by reading this website, seeing a therapist, and asking for help from others.
- I have support people who care about me and who are cheering me on.
- I will ask for help and accept it because that’s what healthy people do.
- This is only temporary--I’m looking forward to enjoying my life.
- I will follow the plan for recovery in this book because I look forward to enjoying my life.
- I know I’ll get well because I’m following an excellent recovery plan.
- I know I’m not alone because almost one in five mothers around the world has it too.
Excerpt from Postpartum Depression for Dummies