The basic characteristics of both types of doulas can be found in the questions a potential client might ask:
• Are you warm and kind when dealing with people you may or may not know well?
• Are you enthusiastic and eager to please?
• Are you knowledgeable about the process of delivering a child or caring for a newborn?
• Are you able to communicate clearly to prospective parents about the delivery process or to new parents to help them learn to care for their child?
• Are you able to set aside your own beliefs or feelings to support the choices of others?
Certification as a doula shows prospective clients that you have the basic training needed to do the job. You can continue to improve your skills as a doula by staying up-to-date on all delivery techniques and procedures including new equipment you and your clients might encounter during a delivery. Networking with other doulas as well as other childbirth professionals such as nurses and midwives can give you new insights and help you improve your skills to provide the best possible care to your clients.