Hide This

FREEHER HealthToolkit

HER Health Toolkit

Sign up for EmpowHER updates and you'll receive our
FREE HER Health Toolkit

Psoriasis

Get Email Updates

Related Checklists

Psoriasis Guide

Rosa Cabrera RN

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.

ASK

Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!

What is Psoriasis? Who Gets it?

By Lynette Summerill HERWriter
 
Rate This
What is Psoriasis? Who Gets it? 0 5
learn about what psoriasis and who is at risk
Vladimir Zivkovic/PhotoSpin

Psoriasis is the most common autoimmune disease in the United States, affecting as many as 7.5 million Americans. The disease typically strikes between the ages of 15 and 35, and causes skin redness and irritation.

Psoriasis can appear suddenly or slowly and can go away and come back again.

People with psoriasis most often experience raised, thick red skin with flaky silver-white patches on the body that bleed and itch, called scales. Patches are most often seen on the elbows, knees, and middle of the body, but can appear anywhere including the scalp, according to the National Institutes of Health.

Psoriasis is not contagious. There are five common types of psoriasis each of which seem to be passed down through families in about one third of the cases. However researchers still aren't clear on the precise details of the psoriasis-associated genetic links.

Statistics show that if a parent has psoriasis, a child has about a 10 percent chance of also developing it. In sets of identical twins, if one twin has psoriasis, the likelihood that the other twin will also develop psoriasis is around 70 percent. For a pair of non-identical twins the chance of the second twin getting psoriasis is 20 percent.

Some researchers now believe about 10 percent of the general population inherits one or more of the genes that create a predisposition for psoriasis, but that only 2 to 3 percent of this group actually goes on to develop the disease, reported Everyday Health.

The cause of psoriasis isn’t fully known,but it's thought to be related to the immune system sending out faulty signals that speed up the growth cycle of skin cells. The Mayo Clinic reported that psoriasis can start or worsen when a susceptible person is exposed to certain triggers.

Triggers for psoriasis include:

- Stress

- Infections (such as strep throat)

- A skin injury (a cut, scrape bug bite or severe sunburn)

- Cold weather

- Smoking

- Heavy alcohol consumption

- Diet

- Allergies

- Certain medications

Add a CommentComments

There are no comments yet. Be the first one and get the conversation started!

Image CAPTCHA
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy

We value and respect our HERWriters' experiences, but everyone is different. Many of our writers are speaking from personal experience, and what's worked for them may not work for you. Their articles are not a substitute for medical advice, although we hope you can gain knowledge from their insight.

Improved

1724 Health

Changed

648 Lives

Saved

512 Lives
5 lives impacted in the last 24 hrs Learn More

Take Our Featured Health Poll

Do your teens have their own cellphones?:
View Results