Hide This

FREEHER HealthToolkit

HER Health Toolkit

Sign up for EmpowHER updates and you'll receive our
FREE HER Health Toolkit

Sexual Health

Get Email Updates

Related Checklists

Sexual Health Guide

Rosa Cabrera RN

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.

ASK

Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!

The Debate about Mammograms Continues with a New Study

By Stacy Lloyd HERWriter
 
Rate This
The Debate about Mammograms Continues with a New Study 0 5
new study adds to mammogram debate
MonkeyBusiness Images/PhotoSpin

A new report threatens to reignite the debate over when women should get mammograms. In the study Harvard University researchers say mammograms before age 50 could dramatically cut deaths from breast cancer.

Research showed that many women diagnosed with breast cancer before age 50 who died had not ever been screened.

The authors suggested that guidelines should be changed to encourage earlier, regular mammograms for all women, said NBC News. But other experts called the study flawed and said it would confuse women more than they already are.

The study was published online in CANCER, a peer-reviewed journal of the American Cancer Society.

The National Cancer Institute pointed out that someone getting cancer who hadn’t been previously screened would not necessarily have survived if they'd had a mammogram. A mammogram would not necessarily have caught the tumor in time to save the patient’s life.

According to ABC News, researchers identified women diagnosed with breast cancer between 1990 and 1999 at two Boston hospitals and tracked their cases until 2007.

They found that out of 609 confirmed breast cancer deaths, 395 of these women (71 percent) never had a mammogram prior to diagnosis. Napa Valley Register said that the remaining 29 percent were women who had received mammograms.

Massachusetts General Hospital wrote that 50 percent of these breast cancer deaths occurred in women under the age of 50, a population in which breast tumors typically grow more quickly compared to older women.

“The biological nature of breast cancer in young women is more aggressive, while breast cancer in older women tends to be more indolent. This suggests that less frequent screening in older women, but more frequent screening in younger women, may be more biologically based, practical, and cost effective,” study author Dr. Blake Cady, professor of surgery (emeritus) of Harvard Medical School, said in a press release.

Breast cancer is the second most common cancer in women. ABC News reported that for years, a debate has raged about when women should begin getting mammograms.

Add a CommentComments

There are no comments yet. Be the first one and get the conversation started!

Image CAPTCHA
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy

We value and respect our HERWriters' experiences, but everyone is different. Many of our writers are speaking from personal experience, and what's worked for them may not work for you. Their articles are not a substitute for medical advice, although we hope you can gain knowledge from their insight.

Improved

1706 Health

Changed

642 Lives

Saved

497 Lives
7 lives impacted in the last 24 hrs Learn More

Take Our Featured Health Poll

Do you think sex gets better as you age? :
View Results