Hide This

FREEHER HealthToolkit

HER Health Toolkit

Sign up for EmpowHER updates and you'll receive our
FREE HER Health Toolkit

Weight Loss

Related Checklists

“The Biggest Losers” Unhealthy Approach to Weight Loss--Editorial

By Mark Dilworth

“The Biggest Losers” Unhealthy Approach to Weight Loss--Editorial 4 5 4
Weight Loss related image
Photo: Getty Images

Whenever weight loss is your primary motivation, you are apt to go “too far” to reach your goals. Weight loss motivation focuses on pounds lost instead of body fat burned and inches lost.

And, if your motivation is to lose huge amounts of weight quickly, you could damage your health. Losing huge amounts of weight quickly will probably be regained quickly because you haven’t built muscle mass. You will usually regain more weight than you previously lost. Your health will also worsen with each yo-yo weight loss and regain.

No credible personal trainer will ever encourage you to focus on weight loss. Health improvement should always be the main goal of your fitness program.

Here are some facts surrounding the hit television show, “The Biggest Loser.” I’m not here to bash the show. It will continue to do well regardless of what I say. But, I feel an obligation to tell people the truth about quick weight loss and how it affects your health.

Here are some facts:

1. Ryan Benson, the 2005 season winner lost 112 pounds. He originally weighed in at 330 pounds. He confessed to urinating blood after fasting and dehydrating himself. His weight returned to over 300 pounds (he was absent from The Biggest Loser season finale).

2. Kai Hibbard was the season 3 runner up. She wrote on her blog that she and others would dehydrate before weigh-ins and stack on clothing during workouts (when the cameras were off). She regained 31 pounds in the two weeks after the show. She also detailed her experience on a CBS morning news show.

3. Contestants are able to lose 20 pounds or more a week because they work out up to six hours a day. This practice is unsafe and not reasonable in real life circumstances.

4. The “New York Times” reported contestants must have permission from NBC before chatting with a reporter. So, contestants are speaking out themselves. I have mentioned just two examples. There are many others.

Common sense tells you that its not wise to lose weight in this manner. And, although it is “only a television show,” some people will believe and follow what they see.

blush1960

I used to relgiously watch the Biggest Loser-and then I really thought about the fact that these folks put their normal life on hold for months. Most of us can not afford to not work and excercise 6hrs a day. I lost alot of weight by changing my eating habits-by actually EATING!!- and yes I joined a gym. But what I didn't address and learn to cope with was the sexuality involved. I put some of the weight back on and I'm now working on the WHOLE picture. I want a life. You need to work the emotional issues and the physical to keep the weight at bay.

June 12, 2011 - 7:13pm

I was really concern about the calorie count i was given to use. I was going to sign up for the biggest loser club, and did "how many calories you need daily to lose weight" tool, and was given a calorie of 1039 daily calories. I thought that a person should not go under 1200 calories a day, and even thats kind of low I thought. I am 5feet 2 inches tall with a large frame, I had it measured, and look very skinny at 135 pounds. Do not know why, I`ve always looked like that. I am now going to follow a 1500 cal limit with exercise of no more than 60 minutes a day. I know I can devote an hour or less of exercise a day for myself. I am sick of extreme diets and will watch what I eat and exercise and find exercises that I enjoy like bikeriding and walking and most of all dancing.

June 8, 2011 - 11:02pm
Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Hi Anon

Thanks for your post! I think you're making a very wise decision. While programs like the one you mentioned can help - they are not mandatory and do not take the individual into account - it's all a kind of mass set of regulations for the masses.

Your method of becoming and staying healthy sounds excellent and always listen to your brain and body (as you have done) rather than blindly following what a computer generated program tells you!

Good luck to you and best wishes!
~Susan

June 10, 2011 - 11:56am
Mark Dilworth

Yes, its television and I think some people will do about anything to win $250,000. I don't know any trainers who would train people this way.

April 27, 2011 - 1:32pm

I don't quite understand why the contestants, whom we know are very fat, have to expose their bodies. I know they are exposing themselves in many ways--by telling their stories, by letting us see them cry and sweat--but I'm not sure it's fair to ask them to dress down for us. That's so sensationalistic to me. It's not like we don't realize that someone who weighs 476 pounds is very fat! Or do the contestants not care? Because I keep myself covered up thinking no one will know how fat I am! So is it just me?
Fitness Boot Camp

April 27, 2011 - 2:40am
Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

I agree. I don't watch this show but the clips I have seen show enormous people in the tightest Spandex shorts and belly tops possible in order for the excessive flesh to hang out and down. Why on earth is that necessary? It's obvious they are over-weight (and that's why they are on the show!) but I think it's done to both shame them and to put on a show for viewers who get off on the shame or who like to point and laugh.

Even people with very toned bodies don't wear this kind of stuff, unless they're on some kind of "muscle beach" and I don't want to see that either!

However, I can only imagine the spin the producers put on it in order to convince the contestants that dressing like this is "instrumental" to the "spirit of the show" or some other nonsense.
~Susan

April 27, 2011 - 1:57pm

Thanks for your share with us friend! i am a fat girl,i am crazy for my fat body,i can't wear beautiful clothes like other girls,i really want to loss weight,so i make exercise everyday and drink much water,only eat vegetables,and didn't eat oil and spicy food,also i ues weight loss items called meizitang from the website http://www.fashion-superslim.com

April 16, 2011 - 7:02pm
Mark Dilworth

Thanks for your story! You are on the right track. 17 pounds lost in two months is great. I hope you are doing regular strength and cardio training. I would encourage you to regularly get your body fat percentage checked by a trainer (once a week). Fat loss is more important than weight loss. Burned fat and lost inches tells you that your body is shrinking and changing to lean and toned. Let me know how its going!

March 15, 2011 - 12:45pm

Thank you for this post. As someone who is inspired by and equally frustrated by The Biggest Loser, it is easy to get frustrated by not hitting the same gigantic weight loss numbers that you see on the show.
I am 36/m and 300lbs. I have a stint from a blockage I had when I was 32. Scary stuff. I've lost 17lbs in the last two months, which is good, I guess, but easily questioned when you get sucked into The Biggest Loser mentality.
This posting came at exactly the right time.
@jleviknapp

March 15, 2011 - 7:06am

Improved

1630 Health

Changed

607 Lives

Saved

455 Lives
3 lives impacted in the last 24 hrs Learn More

Take Our Featured Health Poll

Do you have problems with your weight during the holiday season?:
View Results