Winter is upon most of the country and that means lots and lots of soup. The thought of soup for many conjures up images of Jerry Seinfeld and Elaine Benes in line for the Soup Nazi’s delectable concoction only to be shunned from the establishment. Here is what I have to say, “No unhealthy soup for you,” as too much soup can sometimes mean too much salt. However, soup can be a wonderful healthy concoction if made at home. It can also fill you up and satisfy you, so you keep from reaching for unhealthy snacks. Here are some soup recipes from my Fitness Answer Meal Plan:
TOMATO BASIL TURKEY SOUP
• (2) 6 oz. cooked turkey cutlets, cubed
• 16 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
• ¼ cup of Vidalia onions, chopped
• ½ clove of garlic chopped
• ¼ cup of fresh basil, chopped
Sauté turkey in deep skillet in olive oil. Add garlic and onions. Add crushed tomatoes and basil. Let simmer for about 10 minutes. Makes 2 servings.
SESAME CHICKEN SOUP
• 2 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
• (2) 6 oz. cooked chicken breasts, cubed
• ½ scallion, chopped
• ½ cup of snow peas
• 1 tbsp. of sesame oil
• Dash of garlic powder
Bring chicken broth to a boil in medium saucepan. Add the rest of the ingredients and let simmer about 10 minutes. Makes 2 servings.
CHUNKY CHICKEN TOMATO SOUP
• 1 small Vidalia onion chopped
• ¼ cup of sliced portobello mushrooms
• 5 ounces of diced cooked chicken breast
• 1 teaspoon of olive oil
• ½ clove of garlic minced
• (1) 16 ounce can of low sodium vegetable broth
• (1) 8 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
Mix the onion, mushrooms, chicken, oil, and garlic in a large pot. Cook for about 2 minutes. Add the vegetable broth and crushed tomatoes. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.
MOM’S HOMEMADE GROUND BEEF SOUP
• 12 oz. pkg. lean ground beef
• 4 carrots diced small in food processor
• 4 celery stalks diced small in food processor
• 1 small onion finely chopped in food processor
• 1 beef bouillon
In large pot of water bring separated ground beef to a boil. Take off top layer of fat. Add bouillon, carrots, celery, and onion. Cook on stove for about an hour.
EASY ESCARAOLE SOUP