At Empowher.com it’s time to celebrate prevention and wellness this entire month. Althoug this something that should be celebrated all twelve months, let’s use April as our starting point. Prevention and wellness is a way of life and a way of thinking that is beginning to change the nation.
Grocery stores are carrying more nutritional supplements and organic produce. TV shows are focusing on holistic health and hormone balance. Websites are focusing on prevention, exercise, and helpful advice. Here are ten ways you can start with prevention and wellness in your family.
1) Put yourself first – or at least in the top three. As women we are often so busy taking care of everyone else that our health falls to the wayside. It’s important that we take care of ourselves (so we don’t collapse in exhaustion) and set a good example for our children.
2) Get yourself checked out. Don’t put off your pap smear, mammogram, colonoscopy, bone density scan, and blood work for a later date. Start today!
3) While getting checked out, make sure you go fasting so that your healthcare provider can look at your cholesterol and blood sugar. This is a major indicator of high cholesterol and diabetes.
4) Women should have the complete thyroid test which includes a TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone), Free T4 and Free T3. If you have a family history of thyroid disease, get checked for Hashimoto’s disease which is autoimmune thyroid.
5) Make sure your Vitamin D levels are above 50. The general recommendation for Vitamin D supplementation is 2000IU – 4000IU and some women need more!
6) Eat a salad everyday but watch that dressing! Choose healthier lettuce such as spinach or romaine. Add carrots, celery, mushrooms, tomatoes, broccoli or any other vegetable you want. Include healthy protein such as beans or chicken but limit the cheese.
7) Protect your mood by laughing everyday. Find joy in your family, your hobbies, your animals, your friends, the sun, the moon, and afternoon naps.
8) Try new things. Never had acupuncture? Need a massage? Interested in meditation? Thinking of yoga? Wanna try pilates? Curious about nutrition? I say go for it!