Photo: Getty Images
On Wednesday, May 25, 2011, talk-show host Oprah Winfrey said good-bye to her millions of viewers.
During the last 25 years, she gave us a healthy and spiritual look at life. Sure, she hosted some cooking shows and those annoying hate groups. But, several years ago she said no more to trash TV.
Oprah took the high road. She elevated her talk show to a new level. She gave us spiritual TV. She wasn’t biblical; she discussed how to elevate and improve your life. She gave us tools to expand our minds and hearts.
She also re-introduced us to books. Oprah made reading cool and hip. Book clubs became a status symbol.
Over the years, her size and fashion changed but she always stayed true to her viewers. She was the "on-ramp" to helping her viewers have a better life.
Some financial experts said she created the "Oprah Effect." Political experts said her influence contributed to over one million votes to President Obama’s election. Now, medical experts are saying some of us may suffer from "Empty Oprah Syndrome."
Oprah introduced us to Rachael Ray, Nate Berkus, Dr. Oz, Dr. Phil and Suze Orman.
During her final show Oprah said, "Nobody but you is responsible for your life. You're responsible for the energy that you bring."
Here are some more interesting Oprah facts and figures:
• 4,561 shows over 25 years
• 25 years of the Oprah Program
• 217 shows about sexual seduction and rape of children
• 30,000 students Oprah put through school
• 30,000 guests from entertainers to real people
• Most frequent guest was Celine Dion with 27 appearances, followed by
Chris Rock with 26 appearances
• Oprah gave us 283 of her favorite things
• 48 Daytime Emmys
• More than 1.3 million people have attended her show at Harpo Studios
• 70 books selected for the Oprah Book Club, 57 of those made the
best seller list.
• 2 million Oprah Book Club members
• 55 million books sold because of the Oprah Book Club
• $80 million raised through the Angel Network
• 48 million weekly viewers
• 276 cars given away to audience members in 2004