Once Hurricane Sandy has passed through your area, you may be thinking the worst is over. But the aftermath of the hurricane brings hazards of its own.
WYTV.com has passed on advice and information from WebMD in dealing with the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. As the water from flooding recedes, mold and bacteria remains.
Mold is dangerous even for normally healthy people. If you have any breathing problems like asthma or allergies, you must be even more careful about mold.
Mold exposure can cause pain and aching, fatigue, sore throat, a well as shortness of breath and wheezing.
According to the Huffington Post, the New York State Department of Health said that organic material like some carpet padding and ceiling tile are ideal havens for mold spores to germinate.
Breathing in mold spores can cause breathing problems, congestion, coughing and sinus infections. It can also cause skin and eye infections. Lung disease can be exacerbated.
Those whose immune systems are compromised by certain health conditions or chemotherapy can be especially vulnerable.
WebMD cautioned that if you were subject to flooding, sewage may have caused an influx of bacteria to your home. Infection to your skin and gastrointestinal tract can be the result.
Rebecca Morley, executive director of the nonprofit organization National Center for Healthy Housing, advised that you need to work fast if you can, ideally cleaning up within the first 24 to 36 hours.
Some things you may be able to do yourself. Soak up or pump away standing water in your home. But you would be safer to get emergency workers to go in first if flooding has been in contact with electrical circuitry like fuse boxes.
A restoration company may be the right choice if you have deep water. If sewage is an element of the floodwaters in your home, professional help can be the safest, fastest way to clean up.
Some of your belongings may have been blown away, destroyed or floated away. But some of what you have left may also have to go for safety's sake.
Carpets may just need to be treated with a dry vac or steamcleaned. Fans and dehumidifiers will help with moisture -- the bigger the better.