In the November, O, The Oprah Magazine, I noticed a 1/2 page "O Stats" (page 56) that read:
"People who volunteer are 42% more likely than people who don't to say they are 'VERY HAPPY' with their lives."
The editors then listed three ways to think about giving during this holiday season that I wanted to pass on:
1. Think Locally: www.volunteermatch.org - links you with organizations in your area that share your interests.
2. Think Globally: www.volunteerabroad.com
- connects you with organizations around the globe that share your interests in giving back to the world.
3. Think Together: www.change.org
- online social networking site to connect with other volunteers in your area of interest. This site could be used to connect with others to start your own group or to find people working in a group that may interest you.
With our world in the shape it is today, locally and globally, every little bit counts.
My family "thinks together" and "locally" around Thanksgiving time. We do two things. We buy "charities pies" from a group who funds the holiday soup kitchens in Massachusetts so others in need can have a holiday meal. And, we give to our home town's food bank. Thanksgiving is a time to pull people together so we try to find ways to do that in our community.
I’m a pediatrician, health journalist, mother, wife, musician, Starbucks frequenter, and lover of popular culture. With so many hats, no wonder my head is flattening! If all goes well, we’ll share a virtual cup o’jo from time to time and learn something new about the world. Thanks for stopping by and giving me a few minutes of the time I know you have precious little of these days!
Visit Dr. Gwenn at her blog:
To share ways you have helped your community with the EmpowHer community, visit http://www.EmpowHer.com/share.