Photo: Getty Images
It is the cold and flu season time of the year and I am the only person in my family that is not sick. I must do everything that I can to keep from getting sick. I know what it is like to take care of three kids when I am sick and I avoid it at all costs. I am not a medical professional but these are the things that I try when I feel like I am on the verge of catching a cold:
1. Sleep. I try to sleep as much as I can. I let anything that is not completely important go. Dishes and clothes will not always get washed. I need my sleep to help my body fight off the germs.
2. Wash my hands frequently with hot water and soap. It is the best way to keep from spreading germs. I wasn’t aware of just how many times I touched my nose, eyes or face until I made an effort to count.
3. Gargle with salt water. It is no better now than it was when I was a kid but I believe that it can be beneficial. Depending on how I am feeling, I do it several times a day.
4. Use saline nose sprays. For the same reason as the salt water. I have friends that use the “Neti Pot” and find that works for them as well.
5. Airborne tablets. I drop one of these fizzing tablets in a cup of warmed water and drink it like tea at the first sign of feeling run down.
6. Double up on vitamins. I take vitamins daily so at the first sign of a cold, I increase my vitamin intake with foods rich in vitamin C foods or supplements. I also like to drink the vitamin C packed drinks like Odwalla (C Monster)or Naked (Vitamin C). I buy three at a time and drink it for three days in a row. However, I never drink more than one a day and watch my other vitamin intake with these drinks.
7. Drink warm tea and cut back on coffee.
Wishing you a healthy cold and flu season!