This week was a flurry of asks regarding everything from menstrual, mental, and heart health to natural remedies. People in the community who asked these questions asked for themselves, their mothers, and their loved ones, concerned about their well beings. As always, our 24-hour answering pledge strives to provide the community with informative answers to help them make the right decisions, as well as educate others who might be reading along. Here are some of our favorite ASKs from this week:
1. A: "Menstrual cycles can be very unpredictable. The only time when irregular periods could be a sign of something serious is if they are more frequent than 28 days apart or you have severe symptoms such as debilitating pain." Read the rest of the answer here.
2. A: "...you may want to slow down until your body is better used to be worked out. Some people do have a very elevated heart rate after exercise but it's important to also note the symptoms. What are yours?" Read the rest of the answer here.
3. A: "Your mother has two possible risk factors, recent surgery and arthritis. Prolonged bed rest following surgery and possible sitting for long periods of time because of arthritis can lead to the development of DVT." Read the rest of the answer here.
4. A: "Muscle relaxation exercises may help ease the pain of a migraine headache. Relaxation techniques may include progressive muscle relaxation, meditation or yoga." Read the rest of the answer here.
5: A: "Anonymous, you need counseling. You need to work with a well trained and compassionate therapist. It is possible that your anger is deeply rooted and stems from your experience of being molested." Read the rest of the answer here.
6. A: "In some people, particularly older people, blood pressure drops excessively when they sit or stand up. This is a condition called orthostatic or postural hypotension. Symptoms of faintness, light-headedness, dizziness, confusion, or blurred vision occur within seconds to a few minutes of standing, particularly after lying in bed or sitting for a long time, and resolve rapidly when the person lies down." Read the rest of the answer here.
Do you have a health question? Ask us here.