Facebook Pixel
EmpowHER Guest

Chiropractic Care vs. Orthopedic Care for Scoliosis

By Anonymous July 29, 2011 - 3:25pm
Rate This

Hi. I am 29 years old, and I just found out today how severe my scoliosis has gotten over the years. I've never had it treated although I've known since I was about ten that I've had this condition. I've always minor aches and pains in my lower back, but about two weeks ago I started to have severe pain after a particular work-out at the gym. After about a week of pain, I decided to get acupuncture. That didn't help much, so I decided to go to a chiropractor a week later (for the first time) at the suggestion of a friend. The chiropractor took an x-ray of my spine and was shocked at how severe my scoliosis was. He told me that I should start treatment immediately. Since I've never gotten any kind of treatment for my scoliosis, I'm wondering what kind of treatment would be best. Should I visit an orthopedic surgeon to get another opinion? My chiropractor told me surgery would be pretty much out of the question at this point in my life, and I don't think I would want to have such an invasive surgery anyhow (or could afford it w/o insurance!). Any advice? I will continue to do more research on my own, but I thought this might be a good place to start. Thank you!

Add a Comment2 Comments

EmpowHER Guest

I know this comment is a year later, but I hope you followed through with your chiropractic appointments. I have treated many different women with scoliosis, and all have found wonderful relief of their neck and back pain. The chiropractic adjustment relieves pressure on the joints and the nerves that come out along the spine. Unfortunately, because of your back you will most likely need an adjustment at least once every week or two. Its a small price to pay to avoid taking pain meds or unneeded surgery. Most orthos will also agree that chiropractic treatment is by far the best conservative care a scoliotic patient can receive.

Jonathan Mendoza, DC RN

February 23, 2012 - 4:13pm

Hi Anonymous,
I can appreciate your confusion in deciding what to do and what the right treatment would be. Not having health insurance is definitely an impediment. I suggest that you make an appointment to be examined and evaluated by an orthopedic surgeon. Ideally, a specialist associated with a hospital such Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan would be the best person to see. I know all to well how expensive medical care is, but your health is at stake. Wishing you only the best.

July 29, 2011 - 4:49pm
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.


Get Email Updates

Scoliosis Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!