Facebook Pixel

I had an ankle fusion done in 1993. At that time they fused women's heels with a 1"lift because "women wear heels". Has anyone had a surgery to correct that lift? My doctor says a wedge need to be taken from the tibia to flatten the angle of my foot.

By October 11, 2012 - 3:23pm
Rate This

Add a Comment2 Comments


Hello stgsassy,

Yours is an interesting situation. Having no prior knowledge about this type of surgery, I did some research and only found information about current surgical procedures.

According to the Mayo Clinic, an orthopedic surgeon determines what type of fixation is most appropriate for each patient. The types include external fixation using surgical pins and an outer metal rod, and internal fixation using plates and screws. Sometimes, bone graft material, often obtained from elsewhere in the body, is first inserted to promote the fusion.

Maybe this last option is what your physician is recommending.

Please keep us updated on your progress. Maybe other readers who have undergone this procedure will share their experiences.


October 11, 2012 - 4:51pm
(reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

I am going for a second opinion. But something has to be done. The incorrect angle put a lot of strain on my knee and foot. As I get older both are giving me more problems. As far as being an unusual situation...leave it to me!!

October 19, 2012 - 5:40am
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.