Facebook Pixel
EmpowHER Guest

I have one massive fibroid and am in need of a surgical specialist

By Anonymous November 4, 2017 - 6:07pm
Rate This

Hi everyone!

My name is Silvie. On 10/20/17 I was scheduled to undergo a routine myomectomy to remove fibroids. My doctor had conducted a sonogram and the fibroid was too large to even be imaged. She suggested a myomectomy. During all of this, we discussed my plans for future child-bearing as I am only 35 years old. The day of the surgery I was so afraid and also excited to finally get these fibroids removed. I woke up from my surgery and right away, I knew something was not right. My abdomen was still sticking out. My doctor came to me and informed me that there was one large fibroid growth which she was not prepared to remove. Instead, she photographed it, closed me back up and referred me to another doctor, and oncologist who she claims would be more skilled at removing this large fibroid tumor. I was referred for an MRI (yes, that's right--AFTER she already cut into me) and met with the oncologist the following week. The MRI shows its a fibroid (i've had 3 different readings of it all with the same conclusion) and the biopsy came back that it was muscle tissue--meaning a fibroid. I met with this oncologist that my dr. recommended and she suggested that the best approach to have this thing removed is a hysterectomy which would very likely also include removal of my fallopian tubes as well as my ovaries. I'm sure can all imagine the terrible emotional state I have been in over the past few weeks since this myomectomy that never was. I went from family planning to the possibility of losing all of my reproductive organs. My heart is just so heavy. Anyway, I have decided that I am not letting anyone near me ever again until I am comfortable with their skill and thoroughness. I can't be cut open again for absolutely no reason and without viable treatment. I am writing here in the hopes that someone can help me find a skilled doctor who specialized in the treatment of large fibroids. I believe treating these large things is a special skillset and I need a surgeon who practices this skill with frequency. Please help me. Thank you.

Add a Comment3 Comments


Hello. Thank you for posting.

I'm sorry you are going through this. Unfortunately, we are not a referral service. We answer basic health questions and provide health information. Your PCP (Primary Care Doctor) would likely be the best one to find the surgeon you need. Or you can use Google Search to find skilled doctors in your area and research them to find the best one for you.


November 4, 2017 - 6:28pm
EmpowHER Guest
Anonymous (reply to Helena)

Hi Helena,

Thank you. It has been a nightmare for sure. I didn't mean to overstep. I saw other posts where people were asking for specialists to deal with myomectomy so I thought it was ok. Apologies.

November 5, 2017 - 10:32am
Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Hi again!

No apologies necessary! Keep us updated on your situation if you find someone.


November 5, 2017 - 12:00pm
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.

Surgical Procedures

Get Email Updates

Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!