Facebook Pixel

I have a question about hormones

By July 15, 2011 - 8:07pm
Rate This

Hi, I have had blood test and saliva test done for progesterone and I want to know would you be able to tell me which is the right doctor to review my results with me? I know for hormone stuff a gynecologist would be able to tell me about hormone stuff I want to know do you think is it right to see a gynecologist for reviewing my results? Please let me know.


Add a Comment6 Comments

Thanks for your reply. I have been to an endocrinologist and she gave me prescription for doing saliva test for progesterone and while I'm waiting for results I'm looking around to know more about this. My endocrinologist told me she doesn't know much about progesterones and saliva tests but she let me do this test and I'm going to have them reviewed with an GYN. Do you know Dr. John Lee? He has talked about so much about hormones especially for progesterone. I got his book from my library and he has so many websites and his main one is www.johnleemd.com. Take a look at it if you like it's a lot of useful and interesting information there.

July 17, 2011 - 8:28pm

My PCP doesn't know anything and according to her everything is normal. LOL. I had the lab test done for progesterone by an oncologist and told me that my progesterone is low. So I got my results and I spoke to a hormone specialist and he told me many useful information about low progesterone and I have so many symptoms due to low progesterone almost all my life. By this hormone specialist I ordered and did a saliva test for progesterone because I know it's more accurate this way so now I'm like waiting for the results. With all the results I get I will go to my gyn to help me review my results in what I can do about it. My PCP knows nothing in general for her everything is normal and it's a huge difference to what the hormone specialist told me. He really gave me so much useful information I was surprised by. He told me Progesterone is related to thyroid and I have all the symptoms of hyperthyroidism. So far I'm waiting for results.


July 17, 2011 - 5:44pm
(reply to Melissa6666)

Hi Melissa,

If you are having thyroid symptoms then even though Progesterone is a pregnancy hormone then these lab results are best left to an Endocrinologist to review with you. I thought you had them ordered because you had been trying to get pregnant or something related but seeing as it's thyroid related an Endocrinologist is best suited. I'm so glad you had another doctor look into your progesterone levels and didn't settle for "everything is normal" knowing that it wasn't.

Please keep us posted,


July 17, 2011 - 5:59pm

Hi Melissa,

Thank you for your question! If you are trying to review lab results specifically for the hormone Progesterone, then the best person to review that with you is an OB/GYN. Family Practitioners can also explain these results to you but since Progesterone is an important pregnancy hormone, an OB/GYN would best explain your results.

Wishing you the best,


July 16, 2011 - 6:32am
(reply to Rosa Cabrera RN)

Thanks for your reply. I thought it be an ob/gyn so I'm right then I just wanted to be sure. I'm still waiting for my saliva test results I send them in two days ago. I already have my blood test results. So I'm just waiting so far then I will see my gyn.


July 16, 2011 - 2:03pm
(reply to Melissa6666)

No problem. Who requested that you have the labs done? Your PCP? or OB/GYN?

July 17, 2011 - 9:06am
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.