Facebook Pixel

i have severe pain in my shoulder and arm it is getting worse every day and i have had a mri on my neck and shoulder both of them have come back normal do you have any idea what could be wrong with me? or do you think that the mri's could be wrong?

By October 22, 2010 - 9:36am
Rate This

Add a Comment5 Comments

Hi Cin

What type of doctor are you working with on this? Who read the MRIs? Sometimes one doctor will read an MRI and not see anything, and another doctor who is better at seeing subtle nerve issues will read the MRI and see a problem. I worked with a spine surgeon who never bothered with radiologist's reports. He always read the films himself because he was better at seeing the issues in them.

What type of pain is it? Stabbing, burning, etc.? Is there numbness and tingling? Is it positional, meaning it is better or worse depending on what position your arm is in? Are there other symptoms? Have you had an injury?

If you can tell us a little more detail, maybe we can point you in the right direction with some resources.

October 23, 2010 - 2:37pm
(reply to Cary Cook BSN RN)

my dr. is family med. i have sharp stabbing pain across my chest and back when i move my arm other wise it aches like a VERY BAD toothache my shoulder is hot and my arm is freezing i feel like i am crazy because of the normal mris and it is getting very frustrating because i feel like my dr. does not believe how much pain i am in. and there is numbness and tingling all the way to my fingers i cannot thank you enough for help and your taking time out of your day to answer my questions

October 24, 2010 - 3:15pm
(reply to cin1013)

Hi Cin

I suggest you see an orthopaedist or a neurologist. Those symptoms you are having are neurological. You may have a compressed nerve or something in there. A family medicine doctor is a good starting point but may not be equipped to deal with this. An ortho or neuro is the way to go, and they will re-read those films as well as doing a thorough exam.

I would see one of those specialists as soon as you can so you don't end up with a frozen shoulder or hard to reverse nerve damage. Good luck and please let us know how you do.

October 25, 2010 - 6:22am
(reply to Cary Cook BSN RN)

thank you so very much for your help. i needed pointed in the right direction and you have gave me a start. again thank you!!!

October 25, 2010 - 10:52am
(reply to cin1013)

From Cary's response and experience, it sounds like you need to see a specialist, and not just your family medicine doctor.

Do you have access to a specialist, or can you seek a referral from your primary care physician?

October 24, 2010 - 6:48pm
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.


Can't Find Something?

HERWriter Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.

ASK Moderation Guidelines

Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!