Facebook Pixel

P.I.D for the 2nd time, I have no STD's, so why do i keep getting them?

By September 3, 2011 - 8:10pm
Rate This

I am 19 years old, have suffered from ovarian cysts, UTI's, kidney infection, vaginal infections (since I was 16) and most recent P.I.D. ( since this year). I have had multiple STD tests before and after my first P.I.D episode (every std test). I have been sexually active for 2 1/2 years, and lost my virginity at 17. My partner now I have been with for almost 2 years, and we both have been std tested that came out clean everytime. I had to go to the emergency both times for P.I.D both times (within 3 months of each other)with fevers, vomitting, nausea, diahrea and fainting. every time i ask the doctor why, they tell me they do not know why, since they are not caused by stds. I am always sick with some kind of infection whether it be urinary tract related or vaginal related, and it is really effecting my relationships and personal life. I've been on every antibiotic (12, maybe the same one a couple times) you can think of, and none of them seem to help (currently on doxycyline again and flagyl again). Also I'm 5'4" and weigh only 86 lbs, I cannot seem to gain weight. (I was anorexic when I was 15, but recovered a few years ago).
I just really need a clear answer so I know what I can do.

Thank you so much!

Add a Comment7 Comments

I answered your duplicate question a few days ago, but you posted as "anonymous", so I am not sure if you were able to locate the ASK.

Here is the post with a response: https://www.empowher.com/community/ask/i-have-pelvic-inflammatory-disease-2nd-time-both-unrelated-stds-why.

You did not previously mention that you were diagnosed with anorexia, but since you are still underweight and having recurrent infections, it is important to seek a medical doctor who specializes in eating disorders. It sounds like you are continuing to seek treatment through the E.R., in which case you are right: you will never find the cause to your conditions because there is no continuity of care. It is important to find a team of doctors (medical doctor, gynecologist, psychologist, registered dietitian) who all specialize in eating disorders, and can help determine the cause to your two medical conditions (most likely related): underweight and recurrent infections.

Please let us know how we can help.

September 4, 2011 - 6:29am
(reply to Alison Beaver)

Okay, thank you so much. I have a gynecologist and a regular doctor. My doctor wants to send me to the hospital again for the anorexia, but i do not see the need because I am not purposely trying to lose weight.
However, when I was seeing a urologist for my reccurent UTI's he suggested seeing an infectious disease specialist.
My parents make it very hard for me to see the doctors I need to on a regular basis because they say it is costing too much money.
So I feel kind of stuck.
But I think I will go see the infectious disease specialist.

P.S. I'm sorry for the double post, I didn't quite understand how to use this site. :/

September 4, 2011 - 6:21pm
(reply to Sysy92)

Let us know if you have any questions about using this site...that's what the Moderators are here for!

Have you had conversations with your parents about your health care costs? I am not sure how old you are, but you may ask one of the doctors or health care professionals at the eating disorder hospital what they recommend as far as "how to talk to my parents about financial issues related to my health conditions", as this is a common problem with many young adults who have either chronic health conditions, health conditions that are difficult to talk about (such as eating disorders), or have a long recovery process.

You can continue to learn about anorexia if you choose to go back to the hospital. Most of the young women I spoke with at a University I worked at talked about their lifelong recovery process, and they were always on a "journey to recovery", even if they are at their healthiest weight and have maintained this weight. It is something they are proud of, and I hope you are proud to be on your journey as well!

Let us know if you have any other questions..we are here to help! I hope to hear back from you, especially regarding the infectious disease specialist and what you learn.

September 4, 2011 - 7:26pm
(reply to Alison Beaver)

& also, how is fertility affected with P.I.D, especially since I've had it twice?

September 5, 2011 - 7:24pm
(reply to Alison Beaver)

I am 19 years old, I'm going to call the infectious disease specialist today. I think I'd consider partial hospitalization, but not full-time, I start school on wednesday, so it'd be difficult to do both.
You have been most helpful.

Thanks for everything

September 5, 2011 - 7:54am
(reply to Alison Beaver)

I see gynecologists and a regular doctor, but they don't seem to do much. My regular doctor wants to send me to the hospital (eating disorder hospital) again, but I just don't see the need.
How ever, they did refer me to an infectious disease specialist.
Should I check it out?

September 4, 2011 - 6:13pm
(reply to Sysy92)

Definitely check out the infectious disease specialist! That is great that you received a referral, and can hopefully get some answers as to the cause(s) to your recurrent infections.

Did you ask your regular doctor WHY he/she wants to send you back to the hospital? If you do not see the need (as you stated below, you are trying to lose weight on purpose), but your doctor is knowledgeable on medical issues and see that your body is in need of additional help, it is important to have discussions with your doctor about your perspective, and what alternatives you have. If your doctor sees a need for you to go back to the hospital, is obviously worried about your weight AND you continued infections, I would hope that part of you is also worried enough AND motivated enough to get better and become healthier...and you would use the appropriate means (referral to hospital and specialist) in order to meet your goals to be a healthy person--mind, body and spirit!

Please, please take your doctor up on his/her suggestion to go to the eating disorder hospital, and the infectious disease specialist. This may be your chance to find answers to these combined conditions.

Keep us updated!

September 4, 2011 - 7:20pm
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.

Pelvic Inflammatory Disease

Get Email Updates

Pelvic Inflammatory Disease Guide

HERWriter Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!