Facebook Pixel

Small Button Battery Can Cause Big Concern When Ingested

 
Rate This
Parenting related image Photo: Getty Images

While still at home, parents are reminded to NOT induce vomiting. Children should not eat or drink until an X-ray confirms that the battery is not stuck in the esophagus.

While waiting for the battery to pass, parents should report any signs of fever, vomiting, stomach aches or blood in the stool. Of course, keep an eye on the toilet until the battery has passed.

If anyone ingests a battery, call immediately:

24-hour National Battery Ingestion Hotline: 202-625-3333 (They accept collect calls)

Poison Center: 1-800-222-1222

Sources:

American Academy of Pediatrics. Battery Ingestion Injuries and Deaths on the Rise. Web. 30, Jan. 2012.
http://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-aap/aap-press-room/pages/Battery-Ingestion-Injuries-and-Deaths-on-the-Rise.aspx

National Capital Poison Center. Swallowed a Button Battery? Web. 30, Jan. 2012. http://www.poison.org/battery

Reviewed January 31, 2012
by Michele Blacksberg RN
Edited by Jody Smith

Add a CommentComments

There are no comments yet. Be the first one and get the conversation started!

Image CAPTCHA
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy

We value and respect our HERWriters' experiences, but everyone is different. Many of our writers are speaking from personal experience, and what's worked for them may not work for you. Their articles are not a substitute for medical advice, although we hope you can gain knowledge from their insight.

Tags:

Parenting

Get Email Updates

Parenting Guide

HERWriter Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.

ASK

Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!