Facebook Pixel

Perfume Sickens 144 People

Rate This

Almost 150 people were sickened and 34 hospitalized after a worker sprayed perfume at bank call center in Fort Worth, Texas.

After receiving reports of dizziness and shortness of breath at the Bank of America call center, fire officials thought that carbon monoxide or another type of toxic fumes might be to blame, the Associated Press reported.

While 110 people were treated at the scene, 34 others were taken to hospital, including 12 who were transported by ambulance.

Investigators said they don't know what type of perfume was sprayed.

Add a Comment5 Comments

EmpowHER Guest

Please read "Not Too Pretty: Pthalates, Beauty Products and the FDA" and you'll discover that Red Door is the most toxic perfume.

July 31, 2009 - 7:24am
EmpowHER Guest

my wife has the same reaction or worse to perfume...this stuff is more hazarous than "second hand smoke" should outlaw the poison!!

July 30, 2009 - 10:02pm

We know how our olfactory (nerve cells for smell) detect and interpret smells we encounter, and how they can trigger certain responses. What we don't entirely know is why bad smells can trigger unpleasant, even "violent" (like regurgitating) responses. The bad smell reaction seems to be connected to our system's ability to protect us from harmful bacteria and gases present in spoiled foods, flesh, etc.

It all comes down to chemical reactions, or chemosenses. Our tongue detects different tastes on different sectors, like sweet on the tip of our tongue and bitter at the back of our throat. Our sense of smell reacts with other senses, like taste, so we get a variety of responses.

But, why would we feel like throwing up? Perhaps an overload of unpleasant smells would be the cause. That seems logical to me.


July 30, 2009 - 5:15pm
EmpowHER Guest

What is it about smells? In May, the AT&T "office-employee fridge" at a California call center was in trouble. A worker decided to clean the refrigerator that was full of odoriferous, rotten food left by co-workers who never thrown food away. The trouble began when she used, not one, but two cleaning chemicals. The mixture, combined with the odor of "rotting flesh" (probably someone's ham sandwich left there for weeks), caused 28 co-workers to become nauseous and vomit non-stop. Someone called 911 between upchucks and 325 employees had to evacuate the building. Then 50 firefighters and 18 emergency vehicles raced to the scene. Ambulances took 7 to the hospital AND a hazmat team had to be called. How much money to you suppose all that cost we-the-taxpayers? Ethic Soup blog has a good article on the incident at:


July 30, 2009 - 3:59pm
EmpowHER Guest

It was Red Door by Elizabeth Arden

July 30, 2009 - 9:45am
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment