Facebook Pixel

Comment Reply

Hi Agnyss

Painful intercourse can be a problem for many women, and there are many possible causes. The most common cause is lack of lubrication. You don't say how old you are, but if you are nervous or don't take time with a little foreplay, or just have lubrication issues due to hormones or something else, it can make sex painful. That is an easy fix, so you might want to see if using a water-soluble lubricant such as KY or Astroglide or the like would help you.

Have you seen a gynecologist during the last year? You should have regular pelvic exams, and this is a good time to bring up any sexual issues. Another problem some women have is a uterus that is tipped rather than straight up and down. Sometimes this can make sex uncomfortable as well. Changing position can help with that. You don't say where the pain is, so that would be another very important variable.

It is important to have checkups because infection can cause pain during sex as well. Since you said this has been going on for a year, I suggest you make an appointment with your health care provider just to make sure you don't have any physical issues causing a problem.

We have a video on pain during sex here on our site: https://www.empowher.com/media/video/painful-sex-normal-dr-kellogg-spadt-video, and the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists has an excellent online pamphlet about pain during intercourse, also known as dyspareunia: http://www.acog.org/publications/patient_education/bp020.cfm

Please see a health care provider to be sure you do not have an infection or other issue. Good luck.

April 19, 2010 - 8:21am


Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy