Facebook Pixel

Comment Reply

Expert HERWriter Guide Blogger

Hi again Crowsister - First, I'm in the states and please understand that I am hitting some of this information cold but will do my best to share what I'm able to find with you.

In terms of the private insurance, which you said you pay for in order to get the specific care you need, I found information about an ombudsman service to help sort out patient issues.
Private health insurance is provided through organisations registered under the National Health Act 1953. There are two types of private health funds: restricted membership organisations (such as employees of a particular firm or industry) and funds open to the general public.

Private health insurance funds are registered with and monitored by the Private Health Insurance Administration Council, a statutory authority. Private health insurance providers adhere to the the Private Health Insurance Code of Conduct, a voluntary, self-regulatory industry code.

The Private Health Insurance Ombudsman deals with inquiries and complaints about any aspect of private health insurance. The Private Health Insurance Ombudsman is an Australian Government agency but acts independently in dealing with complaints and is independent of the private health funds and health service providers.
This link goes to a directory of services to assist patients: http://www.healthdirectory.com.au/Complaints:Legal/
This list includes this:

Health Quality and Complaints Commission (HQCC)

Brisbane, QLD 4000
The Health Quality and Complaints Commission is an independent organisation dedicated to improving the quality and safety of health services in Queensland through:
- setting healthcare standards
- monitoring health service quality
- independent review of complaints.

TTY 07 3120 5997 Toll Free 1800 077 308 outside Brisbane metro

Office of the Adult Guardian

Department of Justice and Attorney-General (Queensland)

Brisbane, QLD 4000
Protecting the rights and interests of adults with impaired capacity.

Phone 07 3234 0870 or 1300 653 187 (outside Brisbane)

I also found a resource that may be able to help with issues related to the public healthcare system. http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/contact/index.htm


Here are some links that may help in finding a support group that will meet your needs:









An article I found along the way - http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2009/09/30/2700861.htm

Hope today was a better day for you, and that these links will prove helpful.

Take care, Pat

June 25, 2010 - 5:33pm


Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy