Facebook Pixel

Comment Reply

Anonymous, what you are talking about is called gastric electrical stimulation. The device is manufactured by Medtronic and the brand name is Enterra Therapy. Doctors all over the country do it; it's not just in Texas. If your son has no insurance, the issue will be how to pay for it. In some states, low income adults are entitled to Medicaid, so you should check that out. If he gets on Social Security disability, he will get Medicaid or, after 2 years, Medicare. Medicaid doesn't always pay for this device, but we would handle the appeal for you if you needed it. In some states, the new Pre-existing Condition Insurance Plan (PCIP) is very inexpensive and it's comprehensive insurance. You can look up the premiums at www.healthcare.gov. Sometimes, Medtronic donates a device for free if the doctor and hospital will also donate their services for free. If you would like some more information or assistance, you can reach me at [email protected] (EmpowerHER editors, this is okay to leave public -- it's all over the internet). I'm happy to help you.
Jennifer Jaff
Executive Director
Advocacy for Patients with Chronic Illness, Inc.

June 1, 2011 - 11:36am


Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy