I appreciate the practical advice, like serving others to take my mind off myself. I also really like what a previous commenter said: “I am ready and willing to do whatever I must to be well.” That is a good mantra for this period of waiting.
Here are a few other ideas I’ve found helpful:
1. Listen to music I liked when I was a child/teen.
2. Meet up with a friend who doesn’t know about my medical issues so I can enjoy a totally unrelated conversation.
3. Constantly make new plans, small and large, for later today, tomorrow, next week, etc.
4. Work on a project that requires a lot of mental focus.
5. Listen to guided meditation recordings.