Facebook Pixel

Comment Reply


Hello and welcome to EmpowHer,
There are three levels of testing for hyperthyroidism. First the doctor does a blood test to see if T3 and T4 levels are high. The doctor will also do a blood test to see if the thyroid-stimulating hormone levels are low.
After you are diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, your doctor may also want to do more testing which will include:
---An antithyroid antibody test to see if you have the kind of antibodies that attack thyroid tissue. This test can help diagnose Graves' disease and autoimmune thyroiditis.
---A radioactive thyroid scan and radioactive iodine uptake tests, which use radiation and a special camera to find out the cause of your hyperthyroidism.

There are two main treatments for hyperthyroidism: antithyroid medicine and radioactive iodine. In rare cases surgery must be done. Liothyronine is an antithyroid medicine they could potentially use for mild hyperthyroidism or if you are under 50. Other antithyroid medicine can include: Tapazole, Armor Thyroid and Propyl-Thyracil or PTU. Radioactive iodine is recommended if you are older than 50 and/or have thyroid nodules releasing too much thyroid hormone.
Your doctor will need to determine which treatment is right for you depending on the severity and nature of your hyperthyroidism.
I hope that helps.

July 2, 2016 - 1:47pm


Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy