Thanks for reaching out to EmpowHER with your question!
To start, that's great that you have started exercising more and doing yoga to reduce your high blood pressure. Yoga especially is a great way to relax and reduce stress levels which may be associated with high blood pressure.
There are also several other things you can do to manage high blood pressure:
- Follow a healthy diet. Incorporate more fruits, vegetables, whole grains and low-fat dairy in your diet. Try and avoid saturated fats and cholesterol when possible because they can increase blood pressure. Keep a food diary to keep track of what you are eating each day to make sure you are making healthy choices. This article gives specific suggestions on food you can and can't eat: https://www.empowher.com/community/share/best-and-worst-foods-blood-pres...
- Eat less sodium. Even a small reduction in sodium can make a big difference to your blood pressure. Don't add salt to meals and read product labels to say how much sodium is in them. Choose low-sodium options and avoid as much processed foods as you can.
- Limit alcohol intake.
- Exercise regularly, at least 30 minutes most days.
- Reduce stress. Great you are already doing yoga! Take time each day to relax, even if it's just 15 minutes of meditation or deep breathing. Also, have an understanding of what triggers high stress for you so you know when it is coming.
- Reduce caffeine intake.
- Quit smoking if you are a smoker.
I hope some of these suggestions are helpful! Also, it's always a good idea to make an appointment with your doctor to see if they have any further suggestions.
Please keep us updated!