Facebook Pixel

Comment Reply

HERWriter Guide

Hello Anon

Thank you for writing.

I'm sorry this happened to your aunt, I hope she isn't in pain. Third-degree is the most severe type of burn. A third-degree burn is when all the layers of the skin are burned. Third-degree burns may require skin grafting or plastic surgery. This is generally required because new skin will not grow in the third-degree burn area. They may have to try this surgery again - are there plans for this, do you know?

Third-degree burn treatment may include the following:

• Antibiotic ointments or creams
• Antibiotics by intravenous (IV) or by mouth
• IV fluids containing electrolytes
• Pain medications
• Nutritional supplements
• A high-protein diet
• A warm, humid environment for the burn (so the skin does not need to be "aired out" so to speak, as you mentioned.
• Early cleaning and debriding (removing dead skin and tissue from the burned area) can be done in a special bathtub in the hospital or as a surgical procedure
• Functional and cosmetic reconstruction
• Skin grafting (may be required to achieve closure of the wounded area)

Is your aunt in bed all day? Is she getting any kind of treatment at all? How are they treating her wounds? You can request a detailed plan of care for her and be present at her plan of care meetings. I would request one of these POC meetings as a matter of urgency. The Director of Nursing should be contacted for this to happen.
We wish her the best and thank you for your advocacy.

May 1, 2018 - 2:00pm


Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy