We’ve all heard the saying, “You are what you eat.” Studies over the last few year have uncovered the truth behind the expression.
Besides improving one’s well-being, certain foods in a diet can also create a clear and healthy complexion. In “The Beauty Diet,” nutritionist Lisa Drayer, M.A., R.D., wrote, “I stand firmly behind the fact that what you put into your body- including all of the food and beverages you consume on a daily basis- will come out through your physical appearance. When you eat a healthy, antiaging beauty diet, you exude confidence while looking your absolute best.” Applying makeup, cleansers, moisturizers and other skin products may improve skin, but the most beneficial and lasting skin aid is a diet full of rich “superfoods.”
10 Foods that Produce a Healthy Complexion
1) Blueberries: Filled with rich antioxidants, blueberries fight against aging while working as an anti-inflammatory on skin. Vitamins C and E in blueberries also help make skin appear younger by eliminating chemicals that damage skin from the body.
2) Omega-3 rich fish- Wild salmon, sardines, mackerel and herring contain omega-3 fatty acids that moisturize the skin and minimize redness, wrinkles and inflammation. The healthy fats and oils in fish have also been proven to protect skin from harmful UV rays of the sun.
3) Leafy Greens- Some examples of beneficial leafy greens include spinach, kale and Swiss chard. The vegetables are composed of several vitamins and minerals such as vitamins B, C and E, calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium and omega-3s. Such nutrients help heal skin blemishes. Because leafy greens are filled with water, they also hydrate skin and produce a glowing complexion.
4) Dark Chocolate- Many believe that desserts can make skin oily with acne, but dark chocolate serves as a healthy fat. Flavonoids in dark chocolate protect skin from the sun while also improving blood flow, which results in a clearer and smoother complexion. For best health results, make sure dark chocolate contains flavanol and at least 60 percent cacao.
5) Kiwi- Composed of high vitamin C amounts, kiwis help build collagen which firms skin.