Facebook Pixel

From Celiac Disease to Lymphoma

Rate This
Celiac Disease related image Photo: Getty Images

Celiac disease is an autoimmune inflammatory disease of the intestines that affects an estimated 1 percent of the population of the United States and western Europe. It ranges from mild to life threatening. In the most severe cases, damage to the intraepithelial lymphocytes leads to lymphoma, with a 5-year survival rate of only 20 percent.

A recent article in the journal Immunogenetics describes how a series of unfortunate events causes celiac disease to develop and progress. First, approximately 25 percent of the Caucasian population is genetically susceptible. Second, most of us eat a lot of wheat products, which contain the protein mixture called gluten. These proteins are rich in the amino acids glutamine (30 percent) and proline (15 percent). They are resistant to complete digestion, so that large peptides can reach the intestinal mucosal surface. The immune system produces antibodies against gluten peptides. Many healthy people have measurable levels of these antibodies.

Third, viral infections of the intestines are believed to be part of a self-amplifying process that produces inflammation and tissue damage. Approximately 4 percent of the individuals who are genetically susceptible to celiac disease actually develop the illness. Young children are diagnosed after they experience diarrhea, abdominal distention, and failure to thrive. Adults may have similar symptoms, but also experience anemia, osteoporosis, or neurological symptoms. Reference 2 reports that celiac disease is often undiagnosed in Americans over age 50. These individuals experience reduced bone health, but have no increase in mortality.

A gluten free diet is sufficient to treat 97 percent of celiac disease patients. The remaining 3 percent have continued inflammation even with a perfectly gluten free diet. These patients are diagnosed with refractory celiac disease, RCD. There are two types, RCD I and RCD II. In patients with RCD II, the intraepithelial lymphocytes develop into lymphoma cells. Approximately 50 percent of RCD II patients are diagnosed with lymphoma within five years.

Add a Comment1 Comments

EmpowHER Guest

Celiac disease appears to be hereditary but the gene breakdown does not necessarily mean that if you have the disease that you will pass it on to your children.
What is Celiac Disease

March 3, 2011 - 2:22am
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

We value and respect our HERWriters' experiences, but everyone is different. Many of our writers are speaking from personal experience, and what's worked for them may not work for you. Their articles are not a substitute for medical advice, although we hope you can gain knowledge from their insight.

Celiac Disease

Get Email Updates

Related Checklists

Celiac Disease Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!