Facebook Pixel

Been told Have Severe Dysplasia Dr wants me to get Hysterectomy next Month

By October 7, 2010 - 11:46am
Rate This

Hi Ladies: I have had several abnormal paps since Nov 2008. A recent colposcopy indicated severe dysplasia but he is not sure if there are any cancer cells. He wants me to get a full hysterectomy as a preventative measure. He said my other choice was a cone biopsy. I am confused as to why he wants me to have such a radical procedure. Wouldn't a cone biopsy be a better first option for me? I am very confused.

Add a Comment2 Comments

Hi maloum,
Thank you for your question and for finding EmpowHER. You are right, you do have options. How your dysplasia is treated depends heavily on your condition and your age. Are you done having children? I have had a cone biopsy. It was not a big deal. Minimal pain. If the doctor thinks it can be taken care of with that, you may opt for that choice. However, I have another friend in her 40s who was diagnosed with severe dysplasia, and opted for a hysterectomy. Her reasoning was that she is done having kids, and didn't want to have to deal with the chance of the bad cells coming back or causing more trouble, so she just had the whole thing removed. She is apparently happy with her decision. Has to wear a patch now for hormone replacement. She says she can really tell when she forgets to put on her patch. That is her personal experience. Many women probably have their own experiences. I do believe it is great that you ask the question, and particularly, ask it of your doctor. Did they explain why they think hysterectomy is a good option? I'm assuming the doctor plans to remove your cervix also?
Can you get a second opinion? I would venture that it may be a good idea to advocate for yourself in this way. Ask friends and family if they have a gynecologist that they would recommend. Your insurance company also may welcome a second opinion if it may help them to not have to pay for a surgery. Food for thought.
Here is an article that also may help you in your decision making process as far as knowing common treatment for cervical dysplasia:
Good luck. Let us know how else we may be able to help and how you are doing.

October 7, 2010 - 12:21pm
(reply to Christine Jeffries)

Hi Christine: Thank you for your encouragement. I am doing the cone biopsy first to see if i have any cancerous cells or not-if not I will postpone the hysterectomy till a later time. It would be financially devastasting if I am out of work a month for major surgery-if i can safely postpone I will do so but if there are any cancer cells i will have a full hysterectomy next month regardless. I am 41 and have 2 little kids under the age of 5 any way I look at it major surgery would be really difficult for me. I do not have any living grandparents that could watch my children during recoup. I will do what is medically necessary to stay cancer free but if I can buy time I will.

October 8, 2010 - 12:24pm
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.



Get Email Updates

Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!