I've been having trouble sleeping over the thought of making the wrong decision about my upcoming surgery (in 5 days!) and hope you can help. I have a large cyst on my left ovary with a solid component, which my ob/gyn believes is a dermoid. I've had a dermoid cyst on this ovary before which was removed about 10 yrs ago, then another regular large cyst removed about 4yrs ago, and now this one (my poor left ovary). In between there I've had irregular cells on my cervix removed via leep procedure, and a cancer scare from the solid component on this cyst due to high CA125 test results, which an oncologist diagnosed as adenomyosis (super painful periods after my daughter was born). Because of this and the small risk of the cyst still being cancerous, my ob/gyn recommended a hysterectomy. I'm currently scheduled for a cyst removal via laporoscopy (with possible open surgery) but am now considering following my doctor's recommendation, or at least removal of this cyst-producing ovary. I'm scared of going that drastic with all the possible errors that could happen and side effects of menopause, plus I'm secretly holding on to the hope of having another child (but I'm turning 40 this year and just recently became seperated, so chances are slim). I've always believed in the 'less is more' approach to medication, surgery, etc.. but am really doubting my decision this time because cancer is so prevelant nowadays and a friend's sister just recently passed away from ovarian cancer. I'm really torn... any insight would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.
Add a Comment2 Comments
Thank you for your question and welcome to Empowher. I am sorry to hear about the pain you have been going through but after reading your story, I think following your treating physicians recommendations may be best. Due to the fact that you are almost 40 and single, your right, the chances of having another child is pretty slim and perhaps you may want to take that into account to live a better quality life with the child you do have. If you think about the pain your always in every month, this may take away from the child that you care for now. Perhaps making this idea a reality and following your doctors recommendations may have you see a better future.
I hope this helps. Keep us posted.
MissieApril 21, 2012 - 8:45am
Thanks for your reply. Better quality of life with my little girl is definitely a priority.
As it turns out we're both down with the flu so I don't even know if I'll be able to continue on with the surgery this week.April 22, 2012 - 8:21pm